Loading...

Rue du Fossé des Tanneurs (Strasbourg)/en

Aus Archi-Wiki

rue du Fossé des Tanneurs

Image principale
Chargement de la carte...

Date de démolition environ 1912
Structure rue

Date de transformation 2003

Date de transformation 7/2010 au 8/2010
Il n'y a pas encore d'actualités sur cette adresse


The Fossé des Tanneurs (Tanner's ditch)

The “tanner’s ditch” was part of the extensive inland waterway system in the centre of Strasbourg. The Petite France district attracted very early on tanners, who required large quantities of water. This channel discharged the water used to treat the leather and hides. Splitting the Grande-Île in two, it linked to one of Petite France’s canals in the west, flowed along rue du Fossé des Tanneurs, crossed rue de la Haute Montée and then Place Broglie, before emptying into the Canal du Faux Remparts. For health and safety reasons and because Petite France's tanning industry was dying, the ditch was filled in between 1836 and 1843 and turned into a street1.  


Références

  1. Totem patrimoniaux (Strasbourg), 2020, traduction fournie par la Ville de Strasbourg

Contribute to this article

Comments[Bearbeiten | Quelltext bearbeiten]

Du bist nicht berechtigt Kommentare hinzuzufügen.